Sunday, June 6, 2010

Warping

The first step of weaving on a loom is to warp. This means deciding the length and width of the fabric and setting it onto the loom.

For me, this is by far the most difficult
and time consuming part of weaving, but it is also the process where creativity can be explored.

I warped the desired length and width of yarn and the Loop of the Loom studio and brought the warp home to set up on our loom. For the warp, I used some special slub yarn, cottons.

















I set each length of yarn into the reed.













Next, I set each length of yarn through the harness.




















Once finished threading, I secure the warp to the stable leg of a table and start to roll while untangling the warp thread (my daughter helps me out here).




The loom is ready for weaving. I use baby alpaca yarn in an off-white and black accent.












This is the finished piece of fabric. I am not sure what I will transform the fabric into yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment